It’s that time again. Bar prep is about to begin.
Here are some tips to get ahead of bar prep.
- Take at LEAST a day to relax. Seriously, take a day and do nothing law related if you can. Take some time for yourself. Get a massage, go swimming, or just do nothing at all. I actually painted two rooms in my house about a week before I started bar prep. All those hypos in law school about quitting law and taking up painting suddenly made sense to me, lol.
- Make a schedule for the summer. I’m not talking about a study schedule, by all means make one of those even outside of the one your prep course will provide you. I’m talking about making a schedule for your life. When will you take a break and chill? What do you want to do on your down days? When are you going to church? I went to 8:00 am services during bar prep, so I would get an early start on Sunday’s and have plenty of time to study or relax.
- Get a check up. You don’t want to discover you have high blood pressure during bar prep. Go to the dentist, if you can arrange to get any dental work you need done before you start studying. I remember I thought I was allergic to nuts during bar prep. I was sooo stressed thinking I would not be able to study for popping benadryl.
- Have a plan to combat your anxiety. I thought I was falling apart during bar prep. I went to the ER twice and it feels like I saw my physician weekly. If your school offers counseling, use it. My school uses the Judges and Lawyers Assistance Program (“JLAP”). There is no shame in seeking help.
- Remember it could always be worse. During one of my many trips to my physician during this time, he said, “It could be worse, you could NOT be taking the test.” I thought, you are correct. I am studying for this test because I GRADUATED!! I passed and finished law school!! Studying for the bar exam is actually a good thing, it just doesn’t feel like it( and remember feelings are fickle).
fantastic points altogether, you simply gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you made some days ago? Any positive?